Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Korean Student's view of the Philippines--worth it to be reflected by the country





Philippines is one of the most visited countries in the Southeast Asia because of its breathtaking scenic views. You'd never see and believe a landscape like Philippines do. The country possesses thousands of islands. To be exact 7, 107 islands. Who can ever explore the entire country with seven thousand plus wonderful islands. I for one never tried to see them all.

But not only the islands that are interesting about Philippines, there is this people and culture that also makes the island fascinating to visit. Western people would always love the adventure in the country. And one thing that also makes foreigners keep coming back is the fact that it caters a good venue for other Asian countries who wish to level-up their skills in English.

There is this article written by a Korean student that eventually moved me. He said in his article that "Koreans did not work just for themselves but also for their neighborhood and country. Education inspired young men with the spirit of patriotism." trying to talk about his countrymen and how they battle against poverty which they had 50 years ago.

In that article he also talked about the two jailers whom he met in one of a maximum-security compounds in the Philippines and said, "I have been to the New Bilibid prison. What made me sad in the prison were the prisoners who do not have any love for their country. They go to mass and work for Church. They pray everyday. However, they do not love the Philippines ." A comment from a single man who just visited the country. But made me silent for a moment. Somehow it's true. I partly agree and is shaken. Is this how Filipinos look like from other people in this world?

I couldn't say he is wrong but I couldn't say he is correct. Every person possesses an opinion. But I'm a Filipino. I know what's going on in the country. Everyday, I read news and live in reality. I see flaws and catch problems. But everywhere in this world has.

I know, Filipinos sometimes have this unconcern disposition. But not all are. I love my country. I cried for this country several times but it's not enough. Maybe Filipinos lifestyle is bad compared to other countries in Asia. But why are the people from rich countries come here and envy the smile and the genuineness of the Filipinos.

I'm not bragging. I don't want to brag about it. Who doesn't want to improve and be better. Everyone does. But if that would change my happiness to pressure and loneliness. Never mind. I'd rather be now and love to be here in my country. A live life to the fullest. Nobody needs to push me to study till early dawn just to get that degree that the majority wanted.

Yes, you can only achieve something through striving hard. But Filipinos strive everyday. Strive to live a life and be happy. Who needs to be blame? No one. Who must judge a person's condition? No one. There's always beauty underneath the gray color of the dust. And there is no need for me to polish gold to know it's gold.

A Korean Student's View of the Philippines

No comments: